How to Speak Up at Iowa

Dealing with Discrimination

If you have experienced bias from a faculty member or a member of the student body, it can be difficult to determine what the next steps are. The information below gives details and contact information on the resources that are available to you to get help.

Student Assistance

If you are not sure where to start, you can call the Student Assistance office in the Office of the Dean of Students at 319-335-1162 or e-mail them at

Speaking with Faculty & Staff

If you wish to discuss an incident of bias or harassment with the DEO or a faculty or staff member they are glad to listen, but please keep in mind that members of the faculty and staff are considered “mandatory reporters” meaning that they are not allowed to maintain your confidentiality when receiving disclosures about past or current experiences of sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, or stalking, and must alert proper authorities on your behalf. 

Confidential Resources

If you wish to speak to someone on a confidential basis, the University of Iowa has established these resources to help you evaluate situations of unwanted behavior and harassment:
Office of the Ombudsperson • 319-335-3608
Women’s Resource and Action Center • 319-335-1486
Rape Victim Advocacy Program • 319-335-6000
Domestic Violence Intervention Program • 800-373-1043
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) 24/7 Crisis Line • 319-335-2085
University Counseling Services (UCS) • 319-335-7294

Non-Confidential Resources

Campus Inclusion Team

If you have been the subject of or witness to a bias incident or concern, please contact the UI Campus Inclusion Team (CIT) using the reporting form on their website.

Please keep in mind that this is a non-confidential resource, so if you report something that is actionable it is mandatory that they inform authorities. Oversight of the CIT is provided by staff in the Office of the Dean of Students Office (DOS). 

Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator

If you are dealing with sexual harassment or violence you can contact the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator at 319-335-6200. Keep in mind, they are a mandatory reporting office so they are obligated to inform authorities if you bring something illegal to their attention.

Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity

If you have a concern related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, you can contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD) within the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. You can report a concern to EOD using their online form. If you prefer to call, contact EOD at 319-335-0705 or TDD 319-335-0697 or email