At the University of Iowa, you will enjoy the excitement and energy of a Big Ten university and major research institution with the relaxed atmosphere of a small town. Likewise, the Theatre Arts Department enrollment of 250 majors is large enough to sustain strong programs in all areas of specialization, yet small enough to ensure the individual attention essential to each student’s development.
Theatre Arts at Iowa has a faculty of more than 30 artists and scholars dedicated to providing a solid education to our students. Our faculty are not only experienced and admired educators, but are exceptional directors, designers, performers, playwrights, scholars, and stage managers. View faculty profiles.
New play development is the core of the Theatre Arts at Iowa. More than twenty scripts are produced each year – many of them new plays – allowing every level of student to excel at their craft.
Theatre Arts at Iowa trains undergraduates and graduates in Acting, Directing, Design, Dramaturgy, Playwrighting, and Stage Management. At the undergraduate level, students can explore all areas of the field, through a series of survey-to-intensive courses; or they can choose specific areas to focus their electives during the course of their required core curriculum. Graduate students devote three years of training in their selected program, working hand-in-hand with peers in all of the programs at Theatre Arts.
Arts Living Learning Community
Students can enrich their experience at Iowa by choosing to live in the Arts Living Learning Community. This community is open to all students, who intend to major in Theatre, Dance, Music, Writing, Art & Art History, Arts Education, or Cinema as well as students who are active participators in the visual and performing arts at the University of Iowa. Non-major students who are enrolled in Band, Orchestra, Marching Band, Choirs, or UI courses in Art, Music, Theater, or Writing are also welcome in the community.
Our Campus and Community
Our campus is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and right next to Iowa City's student-oriented downtown. Social events, sports, and scenery—they are all here, and they are close to or on our campus.
- Entertainment. Enjoy live theatre, concerts, guest lectures, art exhibits, museums, and bookstores without leaving campus.
- Easy access. Live three blocks from Kinnick Stadium, one block from the Iowa River, or four blocks from downtown in one of our residence halls.
- Recreation. Read a book on the Pentacrest, join one of the more than 400 student organizations (including 18 social fraternities and 17 sororities), or toss a Frisbee at Hubbard Park.
- Athletics. Cheer for the Hawkeyes during Big Ten athletics action, including more than 170 home games, or play intramural basketball at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.
- Scenery. Walk the scenic banks of the Iowa River, ride the Iowa River Trail, or rent a kayak at Lake Macbride State Park.
- Shopping. Shop national chain stores at the Coral Ridge Mall, or patronize the eclectic boutiques near the heart of campus.
- More: See Student Life.
What's so special about the Iowa Theater Experience?
Check out a video with interviews with 6 Iowa Students.