In order to complete a BA degree with honors in theatre arts, students must:
1. Complete at least nine semester hours of honors courses in the Department of Theatre Arts.
- Six semester hours, or two three-hour courses, must be regular courses offered on a theatre arts course number (THTR) and taught by a tenure track faculty member or a continuing lecturer.
- One of the above courses must be 3000-level or above.
- For each course, you must complete the honors contract form.
- Three of these hours are completed with an honors thesis project.
- Complete an honors project proposal form.
2. Complete their degree program with a cumulative 3.33 grade-point average and a 3.5 major GPA in theatre arts (THTR) courses.
For any class that you want to take for honors credit, you must meet with the instructor, discuss the project goals, then fill out an honors contract form.
For spring honors courses, the form must be submitted through MyUI by Feb. 25.
For fall honors courses, the form must be submitted through MyUI by Sept. 30.
Students using this form must comply with and understand the terms of an honors contract:
- The student must talk with the instructor as soon as possible about proposing an honors contract for the course.
- The contract must be approved by the instructor of the course; instructors have the right to decline a contract request.
- The student is strongly advised to fill out the contract form with the instructor to ensure agreement of details and its speedy approval by the instructor.
- The course may only be graded on the A-F scale (ie. cannot be graded as P/N, S/U, or S/F).
- The student must earn a B- or better in the class to earn honors credit.
- The student may not contract a course that already offers an honors section unless there is a serious scheduling conflict that cannot be resolved.
- The project description must provide a clear distinction between honors contract work and the work otherwise required for the course.
- The project must be graded S/U and is not allowed to affect the final course grade or the rest of the student's work for the course.
- Faculty approve the honors contract through Workflow. If faculty don’t receive an automatic email request from Workflow, and it doesn’t appear in the faculty’s Workflow, then it may not have been submitted correctly by the student.
- At the end of the semester upon completion of the project, faculty will once again get an automatic email request to approve the student’s Honors completion in Workflow. If that request doesn’t appear, call the Honors Program at 319-335-1681 or email email@example.com.
- Please flag the student as “Honors Interest” in MAUI by going to MAUI > Program of Study Honors in the Major or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be a theatre arts major and remain a major while completing the honors project.
- Complete at least one theatre arts honors course before the project will be approved.
- Have two theatre arts honors courses completed or under way in the semester in which the project is scheduled.
- Apply for approval of the project by April 1 of the year before it will be scheduled. Projects are not guaranteed a production slot.
Most honors projects include:
- A major writing component
- A public presentation of the work
- An oral examination or discussion of the work with the student's honors advisor
Two semesters before the planned honors project, the honors candidate will select a topic and submit a formal prospectus for approval by the project and honors advisors.
The candidate will complete the project under faculty supervision during his/her final semester (with enrollment in THTR:4692).
If you're planning to complete the program or have additional questions, reach out to the Department of Theatre Arts Honors Advisor:
University of Iowa Honors Program
In addition to honors in the major, students may pursue honors study and activities through membership in the University of Iowa Honors Program. University honors students must maintain a 3.33 grade-point average, complete 12 semester hours of coursework designated as honors courses, and complete 12 semester hours of an experiential learning project. Visit Honors at Iowa to learn about the university's honors program.
NOTE: Membership in the UI Honors Program is not required to earn honors in the major.